Thursday, April 29, 2021

Snippets From My English Professor, Part the Second

Well, it's done! My Final final exam! While I don't have a commencement ceremony for another couple of weeks, I'm finished with all the work and the classes that I needed to complete my Bachelor's degree! 

To celebrate, I thought that I would compile a list of some very noteworthy comments that one of my professors (the same from this post -- I took another of his literature classes) has made throughout the semester. 

Anyhoo, here are the quotations! 


*****


 "At this rate, it's going to take me three and a half hours to get through the syllabus -- and my espresso is nearly empty!" 


"Oh, the power of nineteenth century capitalism!" 


"You can look that up in any biology textbook...basic dragonology." 


"As you can see, I cannot multitask." 


*talking about Chaucer's Troilus and Crisedye* "It disturbs me sometimes how much middle school works as an analogy for this piece." 


"Maybe I should set things up more, but I won't." 


"I'm about to do something cruel and unusual to you...I'm asking you to do in-class writing." 


*about computers and Zoom meetings* "Oh, I forgot about that feature -- what a very silly thing." 


*again about his computer* "Oh what a blessed machine!" 


"I'm going to expect you to use italics and quotations and punctuation correctly." 


*talking about Sir Gawain and the Green Knight* "He's GREEN, for goodness' sake...we don't know WHAT'S going to happen when we slap him." 


"In Britain, commas go outside the quotation mark. In the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, they go inside, and that's just the Frickin' Way It Is. And I have to agree, it's stupid." 


"I condone writing in books...I have even on occasion written in library books to mark errors for future readers." 


*about his own writing in a sample essay* "This is also, I have to say, a really good paper." 


"I tried to get clever here...and then, of course, as always, a mistake." 


"I won't say poorly done, I'll say economical." 


*at his computer again* "Once again proving my mastery of technology...." 


"I won't put you to sleep, but neither will I sing and dance." 


"This class is filled with fascinating information, and if anyone is still awake I shall now proceed." 


*****


8 comments:

  1. These are so funny! Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a fun class! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss March! It was a relatively fun class -- it would have been extremely fun if it was held in person, although Zoom meetings were better than not meeting at all!

      Delete
  2. Those are great quotes, and Bert's face... SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing all of the classes needed for a final! That is so awesome! These are hilarious!

    "I tried to get clever here...and then, of course, as always, a mistake." <--- This describes my life! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, MC! :) Yes, there are a lot of hilarious moments in this professor's classes...

      I know, right? It's a wonderful saying...XD

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I certainly found it hilarious!

      Thanks, Livia! :)

      Delete