Thursday, December 12, 2019

Snippets From My English Professor



So, what with the semester wrapping up and everyone struggling through finals week, I thought I would share a college-related post that is not related to anything stressful! I have had the great fortune to be in an excellent "Introduction to Literary Studies" class this past semester, with one of my favorite professors to date.

I'm not going to mention any names, but to give you an idea of this professor's character, I will just say that he has been a professor for years at my school, is very passionate about Chaucer, writes on the blackboard in the Black Speech of Mordor to make a point about translation and transliteration (a long story), is technologically challenged, brilliant, and can make a rabbit trail out of anything.

He is also incredibly gifted at delivering pithy, remarkable comments while he is lecturing and discussing literature, and I started writing them down every time he said something funny or clever.

And so, here, I present you with a collection of useful sayings, which you can use to perplex and amuse your friends, relations, and enemies.

***

"I'm not going to read every bit of the syllabus, but I expect you to."


"I have a civic responsibility to point out correct MLA form to you."


*all the dry erase markers are dead*
*accidentally uses Sharpie on the whiteboard and can't erase it*
"I dearly love a chalkboard!"


"We don't say, 'What a slovenly cat.' That would be weird, even for me."


"Why should you use MLA??? Because I'm telling you to!"


"Even though I am always right and occasionally brilliant, I do sometimes cling too strongly to my own opinions."


*using technology*
"I don't like this, but I'm being a good citizen."


*to computer*
"Are you not on, oh strange machine?"


*in response to a comment*
"Yes, but that's not, at the present moment, relevant."


Student: "So how much of the play has to be suffering for it to be a tragedy?"
Professor: "Three minutes and forty-seven seconds...any less than that and you have a comedic tragedy."


Student: "So what's your opinion on 'No-Fear Shakespeare'?"
Professor: *hisses and backs into a corner*


Student: "Nice sweater, Professor."
Professor: "I try."


"You have lured me out into linguistic waters were my knowledge is too shallow."


"Don't ask me a question - brilliant as I am, I do not know everything."


*telling about a past search for plain felt material*
"It was a FABRIC store and they didn't sell FELT! I STILL haven't gotten over it..."


*makes a point*
*long pause*
*raises hand to continue*
"Yes."
*lowers hand*


*after thinking someone raised their hand for a question*
"Then I'm just hallucinating - I do that from time to time."


*talking about the "poppies" scene in The Wizard of Oz*
"Apparently, snow is an antidote to opium - cool!"


*computer brings up no results for an online library search*
"Surely, you jest!"


"No!"
*stands on chair*
"NO! That's not how professional literary analysis works!!"


*talking about his job as a professor*
"We aren't paid to remember things."


"And today we make lots of typos..."


"I'm not completely convinced, but you make a strong argument."


*on seeing former students outside of class*
"I will forget your name...but I will know exactly who you are."

***

And there you have it! I hope you enjoyed the excellent sayings of my English professor...now to leave you with one last quote...used to dismiss the class on one occasion: 

"Go swing for the fences, my metaphorical children!"




13 comments:

  1. These are hilarious, Anna! Thanks for sharing your professor's sayings! My favorite is "I dearly love a chalkboard!" XD I feel like I would do that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MC! I had a great time recording them...
      Haha, yes!! That is one of the best! :)

      Delete
  2. I love these!!! I laughed quite loudly at several of them. "Go swing for the fences, my metaphorical children!" XD XD XD

    Your English professor sounds like a professor I need ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bella! I know, they are funny in a very clever way! :D

      He is a great professor! One of the best that I've had so far.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Haha, yes!! A professor either makes or breaks a class, in my opinion....

      Thanks, Kara! :)

      Delete
  4. OMW YOUR PROFESSOR IS AMAZING.
    X'D X'D X'D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great proffesor. MLA is not so bad once you get used to it. I like how orderly it is. If I become a proffesor, yours seems like a good role model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is excellent. I definitely prefer MLA over APA or any of the other citation formats...it makes a lot more sense as a writing major. I agree!!

      Merry Christmas!! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  6. 20 Best Ford Edge Titanium For Sale | iTaniumArts
    In 2015, the Canadian supplier of titanium tv apk the best titanium glasses frames titanium rods and sawmills was acquired titanium price by the titanium engagement rings Canadian Manufacturers and At the same titanium blue ps4 controller time, as with most rods,

    ReplyDelete