Saturday, August 31, 2019

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (series)--Maryrose Wood

Recently I have sort of stumbled upon a new favorite (by favorite, I mean one of my favorite) book series. This is quite a pleasant turn of events, and since that Hardly Ever happens, I thought that I ought to spread the word! Most of you know that I work at a local library, and I happened to pick up this children's book out of curiosity, read it, and immediately fell in love, so to speak! 
The series name is The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood; comprised of six books following the Adventures of Miss Penelope Lumley, the governess and graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, as well as her three highly unique students. 




I was expecting something along the lines of Mary Poppins or maybe children with special powers or something like that. However, I was delightfully surprised! But before I let my excitement run away with the post, let me organize and categorize my opinions....

"A well-organized stocking drawer 
is the first step toward a well-organized mind." 
-The Mysterious Howling

Writing Quality//Overall Goodness: 

Absolutely wonderful! Mrs. Wood has an excellently quirky and unique voice and tone in her writing which makes it enjoyable to read; it doesn't sound like every other children's book out there. She throws in bits of historical "Easter Eggs," and writes in a way that is both intelligent and fun. I absolutely love the main character, Penelope. Her sensible and practical character is one that I, as an oldest sister with four little siblings, can sort of relate to as she basically takes care of her three wards. There is so much value placed on education and reading, "book learning" of the classical sort that studies art, Shakespeare, mathematics, and poetry! As someone who grew up with a "classical" education, I really appreciate it...there is some truth to the saying "if you can read, you can do anything," and this series would seem to support that. It also is in support for present parenting and critiques silly, fluffy people whose entire personalities are based around wanting to simply have "stuff" and look good. 

The writing puts a lot of emphasis on the importance of being able to think critically, interact with people politely, and "Don't Panic." There are also lots of fun, pithy little sayings from the founder of Penelope's Alma Mater which are, many of them, quite memorable and will stick around in your brain helpfully always. Basically, I felt that this book was so worth reading that I have been recommending it left and right. I also appreciate how Mrs. Wood seems to be quietly supporting the idea of homeschooling small groups of children (I believe she was a homeschool mother at one point, though I could be mistaken). She has discussion guides and educational resources on her website and a new project called the Swanburne Academy, which, if I remember right, is an online resource for parents and children, a resource of the educational sort, which is actually really cool! 

(Also the artwork is adorable and fun!) 

"Nothing good was ever learned from eavesdropping, 
so mind your business and let others mind theirs." 
-The Mysterious Howling

Reading Level//Age Range//Content: 

The reading level itself is suitable for anyone from fifth grade level and up. Like I said, it is written intelligently, but not in a stuffy, academic way. I don't think there is any content to caution against; any language mentioned is mentioned as "language very unsuitable for a young governess" or something like that. Just about anyone old enough to understand what is going on will enjoy these books (and possibly benefit from them as well). 

"This practice of overstating the case is called hyperbole. 
Hyperbole is usually harmless, 
but in some cases it has been known to 
precipitate unnecessary wars as well as 
a painful gaseous condition 
called stock market bubbles." 
-The Mysterious Howling

Parting Thoughts: 

I usually don't give books such shining reviews. But these books are definitely new favorites. I would recommend them to anyone, really! And with that, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! 

"Feeling one ought to apologize is 
not quite the same thing 
as saying 'I am sorry' " 
-The Hidden Gallery

"There is power in words used accurately and well, 
and tragedy and missed train connections in words used carelessly." 
-The Unseen Guest


"Busy hands and idle minds have knitted many a sweater; 
Busy minds and idle hands have knitted many a brow." 
-The Unseen Guest




2 comments: