Wednesday, December 19, 2018

In Which Anna Discovers a Scammer and Completely Destroys Them

So the other day, I got a Messenger text from an old family friend who I am friends with on Facebook. I thought it was a little weird, no preliminary pleasantries or reminiscing, just a blunt "How are you doing?" I also thought it was weird that her messenger account (*I am leaving all real names and info out, for privacy's sake*) said it was linked with a phone number, not with a FB account, which...well, she's a friend of mine on there so it wouldn't make sense for her account to not be linked to FB. Anyway. I responded with a wary, "I'm doing well, how are you all?" Then this happened: 


Already I was pretty sure this was fake. For one, it doesn't sound like her "voice" at all, and for another...well, anyone knows that people randomly offering money are usually scammers. So I decided to play along for a while.


Now, at this point I decided to mess with the scammer by asking the same of the supposed person's son--whose name and nickname me and my family all know. So: 


There was no response for this for a day, which made me sad. But then the person replied!!!! So I referenced a fake person named "Josh" (which was obviously completely made up, but of course only I knew that).



NOW I started laughing. Angie????? Really???? You need question marks after telling me your own son's name????? Is that the BEST you can do?  Honestly, even *I* would be a better scammer than you! But I kept playing along. (And his name isn't Angie, by the way.) 




(Just so y'all know, I did NOT try the number, I was just playing along.)




By this point I knew that if I didn't say I texted the number then they would really suspect, so I typed out a lecture for them and ended the conversation with an appropriately devastating gif (which doesn't work in screenshots of course, so I added it for your benefit). 





Sorry for this random post, but I thought it was an interesting event, and it's also a PSA. If someone ever offers you money or something like that over the phone/online...well, do your research. If anything, ANYTHING seems the slightest bit fishy about it, then it's probably just fake. And if you want to use my spiel and tell them that they have been "Loki'd"--by all means do it! ;D 

10 comments:

  1. Haha! This is so funny that you ran with it for awhile. And that last gif!!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very funny for me as I was doing it...:D Haha, yes!! I thought it fit perfectly. :P

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you! It was very entertaining...:D

      Delete
  3. Nice comeback. You should checkout the video "Scamalot" on Youtube. A TED talk from a comedian who replies to email scams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Huh, I've never heard of that--I will have to look it up! :D Thanks!

      Delete
  4. That Loki gif gets alllll the rewards. *claps*

    ReplyDelete