Monday, October 15, 2018

Introducing...The Characters that Fill My Brain, Part 1: Allyn

Well, it's been a while since I actually (*cough*) posted anything much aside from some poetry bits and that sort of thing. So, I decided that it is time to start something. I have been mulling about this post series idea for several weeks now and it's finally gonna happen, folks! I plan to have a series of weekly/bi-weekly posts about different main to semi-main characters in my books, just by way of "introductions" to these people, as well as a place for me to assemble my ideas of pictures, music, and other inspirations that I have for these characters. I'm not sure exactly how many of these posts there will be, but there will be probably 6 to 10...thereabouts.

Anyhoo, here we go, embarking on the first one!  (Total Side Note: at first, I was reluctant to do this because I was all like "But WhAT iF sOMeOne StEaLS mY IdEaS?" and then I realized: Uhhh, they won't. It's not like the whole world reads my blog after all. Plus, if anyone did, I have all the background info anyway, but that's beside the point.) Here we go! *All the pictures I use are taken from either Pinterest, Unsplash, or my own personal photos...see "disclaimer" page

The first character I would like to introduce to you is the main character of my trilogy, the first main character that I really wrote, and her name is Allyn Turner.


Since I am a very rambly person, I decided that I had better make categories of characteristics that I can fill in for everyone! 

Age: 

Allyn is 15 at the beginning of the trilogy, though she could be considered to be very "mature" in her behavior for being fifteen years old. She is 18 at the end of the trilogy, all grown up...*sniffs*

Appearance/"Casting": 

So originally Allyn was based off of my appearance, but that was back when I was, well, younger and her character was less developed. As I grew up, she grew less like me, I think, and, though of course she probably looks "similar," with curly brown hair and brown eyes, she doesn't look quite like me, not her face. I have not been able to find any real person who actually looks like how I envision Allyn (which is why I only use pictures that are from the back or almost-side). She is often either raising or furrowing her eyebrows, for whatever reason. She is of very average height and build...and is, I guess you could say, just your average sort of girl. 

Family:

Allyn was adopted by a single woman, a quirky chemistry professor, who wasn't married but decided, "Hey, who's to stop me from adopting a daughter?" She had always wanted a daughter, but had never married, so...there you go. Allyn's childhood was spent living with her mother, Elisabeth Turner, and with her grandfather, Thomas Turner, a widower who had only one child. The three of them live quite comfortably together, and they are happy--Allyn doesn't have any difficulty with the fact that she was adopted; in fact, she doesn't mind at all. Thomas and Elisabeth Turner--her grandpa and mother--are, in her eyes, just the same as a biological family would feel. 

Friends:  

In OUR world, which is where the Turners live, Allyn doesn't have any "particular friends." She has friends, acquaintances and such from school, people she gets along with well and enjoys their company, but it wasn't until the time that her first adventure happened that she began to have very good friends. Probably her best friend is Prince Rhondin (who I promise I will do a post about next), despite their...well, they banter a lot, but in the end they are such good friends that they would never dream of hurting each other.

Allyn held up a hand to high-five him. “At least we survived!”
            The prince stared blankly at her.  “Uh…what are you doing?”
            “In my world, when people are glad or win something, they do high-fives.  
You would just hit my hand, like it’s two people clapping instead of one.”
            “Oh.” Looking sheepish, he raised a hand and whacked hers nice and hard. 
Then he grinned.  “Hey, that’s fun!”

“Oh, so you think it’s so funny, do you, Allyn?”  
Then he did a double take.  
“ALLYN?  WHAT—HOW—WHO—WHY—WHEN—
WHERE BY NEVL’S PANTS DID YOU COME FROM?”
“Hello Rhondin,” Allyn replied, grinning in satisfaction. 



Skills (or Un-Skills): 

Allyn is a pretty good archer, or at least, she is once she is trained...she has a good eye for shooting and depth perception, and is an excellent rider (on horseback) as well. She is also a strong swimmer and loves the water. She isn't a very good dancer, but she would like to learn, and, while she isn't the best at handling a sword, she can handle one in a pinch. She is also good with computers, but of course, on her adventures, there really aren't any computers...

Fears:

Strangers, being alone in dark corridors, getting lost, being stuck in a fight without help, Elisabeth worrying about her, her grandpa's health declining. 

Loves (or Likes, I suppose): 

Music! (She has an eclectic collection.) Horses. Comfortable, flexible clothing, Pop-tarts and any sort of pastry, strawberries, extra ponytail holders, archery, reading, waking up before her alarm sounds, the beach, small downtown streets, coffee with sugar and cream, and lots more...

Five words/phrases that describe this character's personality 
(to prevent me from rambling any more):

Loyal, adventurous, willing to try her best, curious, feels "at home" when she is with her loved ones, not at a physical place.

Songs that remind me of this character 
(for any reason, this does not mean that I necessarily support or agree with the musical group): 








And Lastly...a collage!






2 comments:

  1. Allyn sounds so cool! I love how much you've developed her character. Also, that last snippet. XD That was great. I can't wait for the next character post!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mem!! I like her a lot too! :) Haha, I'm glad you liked it! :D Great! Hopefully I will have that done...sometime next week...

      p.s. sorry I didn't reply sooner...it's midterms week at school so I've been, well, rather busy! :)

      Delete