Thursday, December 14, 2017

New Things...

You can probably tell that this post is going to be about the new look/name of my blog. And, in part, it is. I have renamed it "Bookends and Bwopper-Eels" because that is much easier to say than my previous name, "The Blog of Iorlh." And I like it better. I've also done a bit of visual redesign as you can see, as well as going through and doing a bit of editing on my "about" pages and suchlike.

So, if there is anything you like or don't like (be honest!), or anything you would like to see added, let me know!

Now, on to other things. New things. (Don't get too excited.)

This semester was my first semester of college at Oakland University. I was majoring in music performance, but a few weeks in, I was beginning to wonder, "Is this really what I want to do? I didn't think it would be like this." Due to several reasons, I have now changed my major to creative writing, with a minor in music (that way my credits still count!). I am officially one of "those people" who change their majors.

Not gonna lie, I have been worried that people would be disappointed in me for changing my major and that I wouldn't be able to give them a satisfactory reason WHY I changed. I usually just explain that I hate practicing my instrument (who knew, right?). I have never picked up my flute and practiced 'for fun,' at least not that I remember. I've always practiced because I Had To; I love to PLAY the flute but not to PRACTICE the flute. And being at school, completely absorbed in music as if that was the only thing I'd ever do, I realized, "I don't want this." It seems like, to be a professional musician, there are so many things you have to sacrifice: your time for family and anything else, your energy, your enjoyment of anything else has to be ignored. Unless music is the very love of your life...it's hard. And don't get me wrong, I'll always love music! I'll always keep playing my flute, but I don't have the desire to be a professional musician.

I believe there are more important things--and to be honest, sometimes I struggled with having time for Bible study and my faith, feeling like I'm treating that as just another class that I want to get a good grade on. So many musicians (not all) have such messed-up lives in so many ways, and that has really discouraged and disappointed me. Not that I would be like that, but...I just couldn't do it. I can't sacrifice my faith and my family for music. And I guess that, in my heart, I always knew it would come down to a choice between writing and music. Now that choice has been made.

I'l probably still feel guilty about this when I'm 87 years old, but, when I finally decided it was a huge relief to know what I was doing. I don't know if this has made any sense at all. But it's been done. I only have two more days and the first semester of college is gone. The fact that I'm taking Thorin's advice helps a little...


That's all. That's what's new...other than the fact that we decorated for Christmas and I'm SO READY for it! Also there are like 7 inches of snow outside right now...but that's all beside the point. Happy end-of-exams-week, and goodbye for now! I go to study German! 


11 comments:

  1. I love the new look and the new name!

    I hope college goes well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you made a good decision about college, Anna. If majoring in music is taking the enjoyment out of it, I'd say that's a pretty good indication that something has to change. And yes, family is SO important...as well as so many other things in life. I know I wouldn't want any one thing to consume all my time and energy. But anyway, yeah. Writing sounds like a great choice for you!! Good luck with all of it! And have a super fun and relaxing Christmas vacation.

    ~Miss March

    P.S. Your new blog name is adorable! Is there a story behind it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that my decision makes sense! Yes, I was feeling like if I pursued music so fervently it would be less enjoyable and take over more of my life. Music is AWESOME (in most capacities) but there are far more important things. Thanks soooo much for the encouragement! :)

      P.S. Aw, thank you! :D I guess the reasoning behind it is "Bookends," because...because BOOKS, and "Bwopper-Eels" because it is alliterative and has something to do with MY books, and also is not stealing any title or idea from someone else.

      Delete
    2. Oh! So "Bwopper-Eels" is a reference to your book? I thought it might be. I love it!! :D

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is! :) I'm glad you like it, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Changing your major (especially early on) isn't the end of the world. I hope that you find contentment in your new career path! Knowing yourself and what you're willing to do for the rest of your life is hard when you're just starting out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouraging words, RM! :) I appreciate it so much--after getting this post out there I definitely feel that I have more peace of mind. Thanks again for taking the time to read and comment! :)

      Delete
  4. This is sooo late, but congrats on the blog name change! It's such a cute name and your header is really fun. :)

    "I can't sacrifice my faith and my family for music." BRAVO FOR YOU. Seriously. I am very proud of you for making that choice. I can imagine how hard it must have been...but by choosing the "quieter" path, you're putting, as you said, your faith and family first. Of course, that doesn't mean someone who does choose to major in music automatically ISN'T putting their faith and family first. But what I mean is that you tried something, found it didn't work for you, and were brave enough to step down and say "I can't do this." That takes courage. <3 So good job!!

    I just read this quote in a book I'm reading and I found it really encouraging--I'll share it here, maybe you'll like it, too. :)

    "Some of us are made to be faster, and some slower, some of us louder, and some quieter. Some of us are made to build things and nurture things. Some of us are made to write songs and grants and novels, all different things. And I'm finding that one of the greatest delights in life is walking away from what someone told you you should be in favor of walking toward what you truly love, in your own heart, in your own secret soul."

    The book is "Present over Perfect" by Shauna Niequist. It's really good, although I'm not sure I agree with allll the things she promotes/believes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say this...YES! Thorin's advice is SO GOOD. :D

      Delete
    2. :) Aw, thank you sooooooo much, Natalie!!!!! <3 This was a really meaningful comment, thank for your your encouraging words and all your friendship! Wooow, thank you for sharing your thoughts and that quote, it's really helpful to me--sometimes I still struggle with wondering whether or not I made the right decision, and your kind words are so very encouraging! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! :)

      (Yes, Thorin finally got it right....) :D

      Delete