Wednesday, September 20, 2017

2017 Tolkien Blog Party Tag

Okay. I know, I know, I said I wouldn't be posting much now that college is in full swing. But--but--a TOLKIEN BLOG PARTY? One does not simply not participate in a Tolkien blog party! ;) First off, thanks to Hamlette at The Edge of the Precipice for hosting the party! (Actually, I've never done this before, but hey! there's got to be a first time for everything right?) 


And without further ado, the questions of...LOTR-ness! 

Think, think, think! How shall I answer these?

1. How long have you been a Tolkien fan?
That's tricky. The thing is, I can't remember a time when I didn't know that somebody named Bilbo Baggins existed. I think I always knew about Hobbits (thanks to my dad who read the book to us at a very early age), but I don't think I really know what happened to them. I guess I have been a life-long fan. I grew up with them and The Return of the King came out on I believe my 4th birthday! Also, The Battle of Five Armies came out on my 15th birthday, which is an interesting bit of trivia!  

2. Has your love of Middle-earth affected your life?
Absolutely! I CANNOT have a real conversation without alluding at least once to the Middle-earth sagas and can't see the real world without making parallels to the slightly less real one! 

3. If you had to take the One Ring to Mordor, which character would you choose for your sole companion?
I'm sorely tempted to just say "Sam" because well, that's what Frodo did and it worked out pretty well for him, right? But I think logically I would have to say Gandalf. He always seems to know what to do and could whack me if I started doing something wrong. But he isn't mean and I know I could always trust him. 

4. Which is scarier, Shelob or the Balrog?
Shelob, because BLECH spiders! 

5. Which two towers do you think Tolkien was referring to in the title The Two Towers?  (i.e. Orthanc, Barad-dûr, Cirith Ungol, Minas Morgul, or Minas Tirith)
Orthanc and Minas Morgul were what Tolkien was referring to, but I think Peter Jackson was alluding more to Orthanc and Barad-dûr

6. Whose wardrobe would you like to have?
Ooohhh...wow. I think I'm going to say something rather unorthodox. I SHOULD say Arwen or Eowyn, but I'm not. Can I have Pippin's scarf? 
And then for the rest maybe Bilbo's wardrobe. I am exceedingly jealous of his cozy bathrobe in the first movie and overall he seems to have very comfortable, practical taste. (And the acorn buttons. They're the best!)





7. What do you think an Ent Draught would taste like?
Homemade root beer (or maybe ginger ale, whichever one works). Like the really good kind that you get from small companies up north and nobody knows about!

8. Where in Middle-earth would you like to live?
Right here. :D 

9. Do you have any Tolkien-related opinions that surprise other people?
I don't like to correct people's pronunciation, but I am very strong-minded that "Tolkien" is pronounced "toll-KEEN" not "toll-KIN." The Letters of JRR Tolkien: Letter #347
I am nearly always written to as Tolkein (not by you): I do not know why, since it is pronounced by me always -keen.
Also, people hate on Elijah Wood's Frodo. I don't, really. I think he was very young to play Frodo (he was what, 18?) but considering that I think his portrayal was very good. Very good. The first time I watched the movies I was like, "Nope, he stinks!" but each time I re-realize how well Wood played Frodo. I mean, Frodo WAS supposed to be 40 years old, but...still. (I could ramble on for a while, but I'll stop  now.) 

10. List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotations from the books or movies.
I have a couple up on my sidebar! But here are several more:




Again, thank you Hamlette!!!! Loved it! And I'll leave you with one little picture for your enjoyment!
Notice Thorin is in the same stance as Grumpy from Snow White is usually in! :)


13 comments:

  1. Wow, did you draw that last picture? It's really good!

    While I said Eowyn for my post, I also approve of Pippin's scarf and Bilbo's wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! :)

      No, I did not draw the picture! 'm not a good artist; I only do stick people! This one was actually a coloring page that I printed out and then scanned back onto the computer in color.

      Yes, Eowyn's outfits are lovely, I agree! But I've always loved Hobbit attire myself.

      Thanks for commenting! :D

      Delete
  2. A life-long fan! That is pretty doggone cool.

    (Not gonna lie -- at first, I thought your blog name was "The Blog of Ioreth" and I was like, "Whoa! I like Ioreth too! She's an unsung cool character from ROTK.")

    I want Bilbo's bathrobe too! I have been severely tempted to make one.

    Thanks for joining the party :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very grateful to my dad for introducing us to Hobbits at a young age. :)

      Ha ha, that would be an interesting blog! Iorlh is actually the name of the 'world'/continent that my books are set in.

      YES! Everybody needs a bathrobe like Bilbo's! Apparently Martin Freeman really liked wearing that costume...or so I've heard it rumored.

      Anytime there's a Tolkien party, you can count me in! Thank you for hosting!

      Delete
    2. What age range are your books for? I've got a son who loves fantasy, and I struggle to find him new series sometimes. He's reading at a middle-grade level, like 5th-6th grade, but a lot of books at that level get more scary and less fun.

      That bathrobe does look comfy :-)

      As for another Tolkien party, come back next year, same time, same place! :-)

      Delete
    3. *Consults family members for several days*

      My book should be just fine for 5th/6th grade; my dad read them aloud (which was scary for ME!) to our family, and we have kids from a range of 4-15 who are younger than me. I might have thrown in a couple of 10th grade vocabulary words, but overall I'd say the trilogy is mainly for middle school age or late elementary. Of course, there is fighting in it, but I don't really get graphic with any violence and there's nothing any worse than the Narnia books. I try to keep the tone of these stories light-hearted rather than scary for the most part and I probably went way too far overboard with the humorous parts! :)

      I will definitely come back next year, Lord willing! Thanks so much! :D

      Delete
    4. Well, I have ordered a copy, and I'll probably skim/read it first before I give it to him. Looking forward to it!

      Delete
    5. Aww, thank you so much! I sincerely hope you both enjoy! And please, if there are any questions/comments/thoughts you or son have, don't hesitate to give me feedback! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you did the questions! I was hoping you'd find the time. :)

    Gandalf certainly knows how to keep people on the right track. Sometimes without their even knowing it! He's so great.

    I never even noticed Pippin's scarf before now!

    That's so interesting about the pronunciation of his name. I think I prefer Tol-KIN, but if Tolkien himself says it's "keen", far be it from me to argue. :P (Also it took me forever to learn to spell his name with the i before the e. Maybe because my own last name is e before i? I don't know.)

    Before being introduced to LOTR, I had seen photos and such of the movie Frodo, so Elijah Wood always WAS Frodo to me. I don't see any problem with him. :)

    Hahaha. ;D That last picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad too. I squeezed them in between homework and practicing and such. :)

      Oh yeah. Gandalf could "fool of a Took!" me and then I'd be good. :D

      NATALIE! How could you not notice Pippin's scarf????? It's the best scarf! Pippin's scarf is as iconic as Merry's...uh...big nose? *Shrugs* (That was a bad comparison.) :)

      I've come to be okay with people calling him "Tol-KIN," but I've always said "Tol-KEEN," so...you know. We've been trying to figure out how to 'prove' the pronunciation of his name for some time now, and I finally looked it up. There was a quote from the man himself! Anyway. I digress.

      I know there once was a time when I saw a picture of Elijah Wood as Frodo and thought it was Sam...*cringe*...I don't remember what I imagined Frodo to look like anymore, but now I agree, Elijah Wood is Frodo. There's just no way around it!

      :D I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
    2. It IS a nice scarf. Maybe I noticed it before, but forgot. :P I don't know.

      Haha! You proved it, then! :D

      Frodo as Sam?? Noooooo.

      Delete
    3. It is. I wanted to knit one but then I realized that it's not really a knit scarf so that would be rather impossible...

      :)

      I agree. *Shudders*

      Ooh, you changed your profile picture! It's lovely! I like the green book! :)

      Delete
    4. This is such a late response but...

      Aww yeah. That would be so cool if you COULD knit one!

      THANK YOU! I had to wrangle Andrew into taking the photo for me, but I think it was worth it. ;D

      Delete