Wednesday, August 23, 2017

What's up Doc?

Yeah, I know. Bugs Bunny. 
Hello there! I have been rather busy lately, running here and there, doing this and that, and thought that this post title was very accurate. It fits the hectic last-weeks-of-summer-break attitude that most of us have around here!
So, without further ado, here is what's up, Doc:

Writing: 
Uhhh...yep. I've been slacking off, of course. I did finish typing out the 2nd draft (I handwrite my first drafts, so this is the first typing) of my 5th book, which is chronologically the 1st prequel, but as I wrote it the 2nd prequel (yes, it's complicated). Also, I've been working a bit on the 1st draft of the 6th book, which is chronologically the 3rd prequel AND I'm writing it last. Ha. There's at least some semblance of order! Then working on editing the second book in my trilogy, which thankfully, needs I think a bit less editing than the first one and I'm about halfway through the first stage of editing. 

Reading: 
  • Exiles by Jaye L. Knight (the fourth book of the Ilyon Chronicles). It was quite good! Thanks Natalie! (Read her latest post about it here
  • That Hideous Strength by C.S.Lewis. This summer I read the other two books of the Space Trilogy and I need to finish it. 
  • Other people's blog posts :D


BLOWING ALL MY MONEY ON BOOKS AAAAAAAGHHHH!
Ahem. Sorry about that. It's just that I discovered that for college, one must buy textbooks, and to buy textbooks, one must spend money. So I bought all 12-ish of my books and spent a grand total of $754.17.  Lemme say that again.  Seven hundred fifty-four dollars and seventeen cents. I mean, come on people! How expensive can schoolbooks be? At least I could borrow my brother's Amazon Prime for free shipping (at least for 8 of 12 books). And I get to read Stephen Hawking's A Briefer History of Time or whatever it is for school. Whoop-de-doo. 

Oh well, that's college for ya. I'm getting ready for that in a couple weeks, which I hope and pray will be a good transition from being homeschooled all my life to a public university.

Gallivanting:
Which basically means going around to different resale stores not particularly searching for anything, but just to get out and do something. I was able to go with a few different friends over the past week or so, and it's such a good time! Even when you don't find anything (such as when I ALMOST found a complete, old set of LOTR books, but didn't buy cause it was missing ROTK) it's fun. 

Gallivanting also can mean going different places as a 'last hurrah' before the school year. My family went up to Tawas yesterday, just for the day and to see some relatives who live up there. We ate too much food and had a good time. Plus I got to try bubble tea for the first time ever, which was interesting. The kind I had was actually rather good--tolerable at the very least--and I may have to try it again sometime. :) 

Car Shopping:
...yes...it's fun. So far I've driven 3 cars. One was nice to drive but had a terribly dirty interior (and it hadn't been used in soooooo long that there was a wasp nest on the thing-where-you-put-gas-in). One was nice-ish to drive (if I'd had more time) but REALLY messed up. One was really nice inside but I wasn't crazy about the way it drove and there was a strange clunking noise. So now I'm back to the drawing board. Or back to Craigslist, as the case may be. 

Eating and Sleeping:
This may sound rather dull, but the end of summer usually is the time I sleep in the most, knowing that when school starts I won't get that...uh, privilege, I guess. Weird thing is, I like to get up early but I don't like to WAKE up early if you see what I mean. I like getting up early once I'm out of bed and awake, but it's the waking up part that I simply cannot stand.

Watching:
How could I have forgotten this Very Important section until now???? *Smacks forehead* 
  • Oliver Twist (BBC, the 1985 version...someday when I can, perhaps I'll review it).
Oliver had a different actor when he got older, but little Oliver is simply adorable!
  • The first two episodes of Cranford with some friends who hadn't seen it before. That was fun! 
  • A bunch of other random movies that I won't bore you with listing...
  • Some episodes of Spongebob, because of my brothers.
And now I find that I don't have a 'wrap-up' for this post...so I will wave and awkwardly say "Good-bye!"
The best coloring page ever

8 comments:

  1. Oooooh. Car shopping. I certainly do not envy you that chore. :P I hope you have success soon though, and find one that you really like. It really is fun owning your own car. :) (A wasp nest though?!! Yikes! I can totally understand why you didn't go for that one!)

    THAT'S EXACTLY MY PROBLEM TOO! I like being up early, but the actual getting up? Eeek. That's tough! :P

    Oh my oh my oh my!!!! YOU'VE SEEN THE 1985 VERSION OF OLIVER TWIST??! Really?!!! This is so exciting!! I can't think of anyone I know who has seen that movie! Did you like it? We own it and it's my favorite of the Oliver Twist movies I've seen. It stays true to the book, and I like it when movies do that. :) Who's your favorite character? And (since you mentioned that there were two different actors for Oliver, now I'm curious) did you like one better than the other? And where did you get that adorable picture of him? I've had such a hard time finding pictures from that movie.

    Anyway, sorry if I got a little carried away there. :P It's just fun when someone mentions a movie I'm familiar with that doesn't get talked about a whole lot. (Oh, and you should definitely do a review sometime! That would be great.)

    Your ending to this post was perfect! "...so I will wave and awkwardly say "Good-bye!"" Haha. Excellent. *waves back*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not a good car shopper. All I ask is something with four wheels that runs well, is in good shape, and is not a P.T. Cruiser. Thanks though! I'm sure I'll find something soon enough. (Yes, that car was very gross.)

      Really? Our cousins recommended it to us and we actually borrowed the movie from them, but now that you mention it, I guess I haven't met really anyone else who has seen that version. It's so very good! :) I know, it was so close to the book! Ooh, favorite character...that's hard! I'd probably have to say that Oliver is my favorite GOOD character and Mr. Bumble is my favorite OTHER character, because he's so funny, I don't know. He was portrayed well. Yes, I liked little Oliver best, because he was just so little and sad, with big, sad eyes...such a sweet little boy. I just got the picture from the internet, searched "Oliver Twist BBC 1985" and it came up. It is a very good film--not super high budget, but still very good. I'll have to work on a review sometime.

      Thanks! :) Glad you liked it!

      Delete
    2. Haha. Mr. Bumble. It's true though. He really is excellently portrayed in this version! Totally hilarious. :) And yeeeees! Oliver is SO sweet! I'm glad you liked the movie. :D

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you read and enjoyed Exiles!! (Thanks for linking to my post. :))

    Hahaha. That Kermit gif is so perfect. I thought for a minute you meant GOOD books, like fiction. :P Ahhh. Schoolbooks aren't fun. And whaaat. That. Price. Is. Insane.

    Gallivanting was fun. :D

    I've vaguely heard of bubble tea, but I have NO CLUE what it is. Huh. I just googled it. Interesting. Now I want to try one, although it sounds a little sketchy. :P (But it's got TEA in it so it must be good, right? :))

    "I like to get up early but I don't like to WAKE up early..." EXACTLY SO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thanks for lending me the book to read! :)

      I agree. And I actually stole that gif from you a long time ago and have been waiting for the perfect time to use it...hee hee! It would be nice to have unlimited money to spend on GOOD books, but sadly no. It's a large stack of schoolbooks, but I don't think I can see nigh $800 sitting on my dresser...

      Bubble tea is interesting. I think I would have to try some other flavors to decide if it's really good or just mediocre. It was an interesting experience, which wasn't as sketchy as I thought. (Exactly. You can get it with cream, too, but since it's fruity and cold, what's the point?)

      :D

      Delete