Saturday, August 26, 2017

In terms of money...we have no money...


So remember back when I said I was car-shopping? Well, I was. Now I'm not anymore. The reason for this is, quite simply, that I finally BOUGHT a car! (Which is, along with purchasing college textbooks, why I have no money.) AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
What you say after buying a car and realizing that you finally don't have to spend hours searching online anymore.

Yes, I bought a car. Me, my dad, and my younger-but-taller brother drove out to Grand Rapids, almost 2 hours away, one Friday morning to a conference celebrating the anniversary of the Protestant Reformation (no offense meant to anyone who does not agree with Protestantism, but that's just where we went that morning) where we listened to a few sermons, wandered among book tables, and went to eat Burger King. (I had a grilled chicken sandwich, which I'd never had before and discovered was quite delicious.) Ahem.

After that, we drove down another hour to Kalamazoo, which is where we had seen a pretty good car listed on Craigslist. We test drove it, talked to the guy selling it (we prefer private party sellers), and it was pretty clear that I was going to buy it. And so...I counted out a great big pile of cash (bye-bye, savings account...), shook hands with the seller, and drove away. I drove that home while my dad drove his car. And my brother rode with me just cause. Then we stopped for dinner (at Arby's, which was super healthy after already eating fast food) and I drank something caffeinated, which may or may not have been good for me. Ah well, we made it home safe.

Oh yeah, you're probably thinking "Well, all of this is great, but what IS the car? What does it look like?" Well, it's a 2004 Chevrolet Impala and it's silver. It's a nice, not-too-small but not-too-big size, sturdy so that it won't fall over in a high wind, but small enough to get decent gas mileage.
Ok, so these are stock photos, but it's pretty much what the car looks like.
We were really thankful to find such a good deal. For the age of the car it is in extremely good condition, maybe a couple spots with surface rust but nothing worse, no mechanical (or whatever) problems, only 70,000 miles on it. And a decent price, when compared to similar vehicles. So yeah, I went to the Secretary of State (the sketchy one that's open on Saturdays) today and got my license plate. And I'm sure I'm understating everything--I mean, that was the biggest purchase I've ever made in my entire LIFE and probably the biggest until I have to buy my second car in hopefully over 10 years or a home someday. Kind of intimidating.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update on that situation. Don't worry, I'm really financially fine! Just like Dave Ramsey says, I paid cash for my car and didn't go into debt. And just so you know, I'm not "into" vehicles, so car posts are in no way going to become regular with me! :) Thanks for reading!
Thankfully I wasn't stuck with something like this...

9 comments:

  1. That's exciting! Sorry about the money aspect though, why does everything have to be so expensive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is exciting! My little siblings were literally jumping up and down singing, "Anna got a car, Anna got a car!" when I drove home! :D Things ARE stupid expensive. But it's only a 6th of what the original price was for the car when it was new 13 years ago, so that's good, right...? :)

      Delete
  2. YAY FOR ANNA. I'm glad you found a car that was a good deal and everything....but yes. Why are they (and so many usually necessary things in life) so expensive? I rarely buy clothing that's priced over 20 or 30 dollars (unless it's something more special like a dress or coat or shoes....but I digress); I'm not sure I'll be able to cope with buying a car. ;P haha

    NO MORE STICK SHIFT THOUGH, YAY! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Yes, especially at a resale store--why would one bother to pay so much for something that's not even new? Aside from formal wear, of course. ;)

      AGREED!! I am exceedingly happy about that!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Anna! That's awesome!! (I have a silver car, too. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss March! :) Silver is a good color--both my brother and I have silver cars now. We should start a club. :P

      Delete
  4. No car posts? Darn. I love how you said "won't fall over in a high wind" like it was a barn or something. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no car posts unless they're directly related to my car and/or my life! :D Ha ha, thanks!

      Delete
    2. you should pick a cool window sticker of some sort for your car. They're cool when there not overdone. And that is still too bad. Car posts are interesting. I should do more on my blog.

      Delete