Tuesday, August 14, 2018

"She's Just About to Close Up the Library!" and Other Summer Happenings

Hello, everyone! Since it is summer, I am out of school, and, well, it's summer, you were bound to get a "lately" post. And here it is! I have tried to organize my ridiculous, rambling goings-on into several categories. I apologize in advance for an Extremely Dull post, but, hey...you kind of knew it was coming. :D So here we go! 

Lately, I have been...

Working:

When people ask where I see myself in ten years, I can now just show them this picture...:P 
Hence the title of this post, I have recently gotten a job at my local library, which, so far, I am really loving! It's a quiet, calm atmosphere (usually), I love books/movies, and I am learning so much about libraries in general. It's a small place, and the best part is that it's not working retail. I don't have to deal, at least for the most part, with all the angry customers, credit cards that don't work, and disgruntled holiday shoppers. So far I really like it, and I'm very happy there. I get to work in relative quiet and peace, with not too much to distract me from my job.  Oh, but I must share the worst library joke ever with you! When I'm going through the children's section, all the books have the first two letters of the author's last name on them (so, Dr. Seuss would be SE, Mo Willems WI, etc.).  When I get to the H section, I just can't help myself from grinning.  This section is the most hilarious section of the library, I think to myself as I read HAHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHEHEHIHIHIHIHOHOHOHO.  



Okay, I guess I deserve that head shake, Mr. Knightley. But still. You've got to admit it was a pretty good joke.




Going (on Vacation): 
Our family has gone on a couple short vacations this summer. Instead of our usual week-long Upper Peninsula visit, we went down to Kentucky, to visit Mammoth Caves, for several days. It was really lovely, and the caves were totally amazing. I left feeling, as a writer, so inspired--the caves got my imagination going, and I was blown away. 412 mapped miles underground in those caves. 412! It's really incredible. 
Historic graffiti in Mammoth Caves! 

We also went up north to the city of Tawas for a few days, visiting some relatives who were kind and generous enough to let us camp out in their yard. It was great to see them again, to spend time on the water (and get terribly sunburned, cough cough), to ride the speedboat and just relax for a few days. I enjoyed myself thoroughly, and I always love being up there.

A small waterfall at Iargo Springs near Tawas, MI
A butterfly on the shore of Lake Huron


And some corn...:D Just for fun

Watching (and some of these were slightly filtered on Clearplay; I have marked those with an asterisk, and, for the sake of brevity, rated the movies out of 5 stars--also these are all the things that I HAVE NOT seen before this summer): 

The Incredibles 2 (2018): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Thor (2011): ⭐⭐⭐
The Avengers (2012): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Coco (2017): ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (don't mind admitting that this made me sob like a baby...)
Lark Rise to Candleford, Seasons 1 and 2: ⭐⭐⭐...and a half... I would give it four...maybe. I have mixed feelings and I can't really rate it until I finish the series. 
Swallows and Amazons (2016): ⭐⭐ (I can't do half stars but I would only give it one and a half.) 

Reading: 

The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers: I am liking this so far, it has a Sherlock Holmes vibe, which is good...I haven't finished it, but so far I like it. 

I am helping proofread/advance read my cousin's book over email, and enjoying it! (She is also an authoress, and we have always sort of...inspired each other. Here is a link to her first published book!) We grew up together and there are so many things that we just understand each other about. So we have always proofread each others' writing, at least, most of it.

Listening (Disclaimer: Not all the bands whose songs I listen to are bands/artists that I support in any way, liking or listening to one song does not mean I like the rest of their music, or even that I interpret their songs the same way that they do, or even that I agree with everything in their songs.  Also, this isn't ALL the music that I listen to...these are just some of the most notable songs, the ones that have most been stuck in my head lately...):

Coldplay (their videos are super confusing--artsy and kind of weird...): Up & Up, Paradise, Sky Full of Stars, Everglow
The Police: King of Pain
Interstellar Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer
Burlap to Cashmere: The Other Country 

Writing: 

Working on the final edit and proofreading of the second book in my trilogy...my dad has been reading it aloud (ACK) to our family, which is both terrible and wonderful. Terrible, because it hurts me So Bad and is somewhat awkward to listen to, having your siblings criticize every single word, wonderful because I catch every little mistake that way. I'm hoping to get that book done and published at the latest by Christmas this year. 

Typing my sixth book, which is chronologically about fifteen years before the trilogy happens, and is the third prequel I wrote (yes, I realize that I did it like Star Wars, but I'M SORRY okay?)

Brainstorming and writing a book with my dear cousin, or trying to, at least.  We are co-authoring it, but I can't tell you much about it...because that's a secret. :D It's great fun, though!  

Does making collages and aesthetics count as "writing?" Because if so...I have been doing that. They're mostly heinous, because I can't find a good program to make them the way I want, but they work. Oh, that brings me to ask if anyone happens to know of a good, free program/software for making/editing photo collages and things? Because if you do, I shall be forever in your debt. :) 

Doing: 


Spending lots of time with my family and friends, playing games, playing backyard soccer with my cousins...eating tasty food and in general just resting and preparing myself for this next school year. Ya know, just bee-bopping around...(hee hee) and enjoying the time that I have left to sleep in.  I have had some very wonderful times with the people I know and I am always thankful for the great group of family/friends that I have. It has been a restful, pleasant summer so far, and, though I don't really *want* to go back to school, I know that it can't be avoided. But that's not for 22 days yet! I've still got time.  

Wow, I have really no good way to wrap this up, and that was really rather boring....anyhoo, since I don't have a good way to wrap up, I will just say... 


What have you been up to this summer? 
Have you ever visited Mammoth Caves or Tawas?
Do you like/dislike any of the movies, music, or books I mentioned?
Do you have a nice hat? 
Let me know in the comments! 

13 comments:

  1. She's just closing up the library!! Great picture!

    I just have to mention that Swallows and Amazons WAS a good read. The movie version was very different from the original story. Yes, the book was a little boring in the beginning and middle, but it really grew on me toward the end. (I had to defend it a little bit since it was your lowest rated movie. I mean, even lower than Indiana Jones?) :)

    I have always liked nice hats, but unfortunately have never had the courage to wear them.

    Looking forward to your next post...


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yes, I guess I can see how one could like Swallows and Amazons...for me, personally, it wasn't super captivating, I guess. I feel like the idea has the potential to be a good story, but it was not well executed (sorry BBC) in the film. Indiana Jones at least has something iconic about it that Swallows and Amazons didn't have.

      Yes, nice hats are very fun. :)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Great share! I'll check on this one. By the way the GIF's are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) Yes, I enjoy using gifs, they are very fun!

      Delete
  3. This was NOT a boring post!! I enjoyed it very much! It's fun to hear what you've been up to. :)

    Love how you incorporated the It's a Wonderful Life quote and picture into this post. Very nice. And that's so cool that you're working at the library! And enjoying it!! I've thought about working at the library before. Not sure it would be my cup of tea or not, but some aspects of it sound rather nice. :)

    That library joke, though! Hahaha. Terrible or not, I thought it was funny!! :D :D And that Mr. Knightley gif was perfection! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

      Haha, my mom has been quoting that line ever since I got the job at the library, and there was no way that I could leave it out of this post! :D Yes! I like the library far better than working retail, at least so far. It's a very pleasant change of pace. I guess some could call it boring, but there's always something that can be done.

      I sometimes can't believe myself...it's that kind of joke where I groan but then I giggle to myself when I think about it later. :D Haha, thank you!

      Delete
  4. I think Natalie uses some programs that would fit your criteria. I have to say though... HOW DID YOU NOT LIKE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK!?!? (we saw it on clearplay too) I just don't understand why you love some great movies (like Interstellar) and hate others that are great (like Rocky and this Indy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, I'll have to ask her about them! Weeelll, I just didn't like it...these things happen sometimes. There's something about Indy and Rocky that are just...meh. No offense. They are ICONIC, but not great!

      Delete
    2. Ahem. They're iconic BECAUSE they're great.

      Delete
  5. I have a nice hat. *nods* Thank you very much. ;-D
    OH MY WORD THAT JOKE FROM THE H SECTION MADE ME LAUGH. That was great. XD XD XD
    AND FINALLY! Someone else that listens to Burlap to Cashmere! I love him. <3
    And all the Marvel movies...<33333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. That's good, I'm very glad! :D
      Haha, thank you!! It's a terrible joke, but at the same time I love it!
      REALLY?? I was starting to think that I'm the only person who listens to them! I really love their music, it's wonderful! :)
      Oh yes...after this post, I just watched Age of Ultron and Civil War...I think I have now been officially converted to a Marvel fan! :D
      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. That library joke was Literally The Worst (TM).

    ReplyDelete