Saturday, March 3, 2018

War Horse: Michael Morpurgo vs. Steven Spielberg (sort of)


*WARNING: THERE ARE SPOILERS SPRINKLED LIBERALLY THROUGHOUT THIS POST* 

A Very Dear Friend gave this book to me and I immediately read it. (Of course, I was on a three-hour long bus ride stuck with a bunch of college band people, so that gave me a perfect time to read.) I fell in love the the movie War Horse the first time I watched it, and I've been wanting to read the book ever since I, ahem, learned that it was a book. 

(Also I've decided that since it's March now I don't want a wintery background.) :D

This was a very pleasant read. It was meant to be a children's book, and is definitely not a hard read--the spine is less than an inch thick and there weren't any words that I required the dictionary to understand. I still think that the story is a lovely one and the characters are very memorable, although I would rather it was in third person than told in first person from the horse's perspective. I like the idea of a horse story that isn't all butterflies and daisies (not that they ARE all butterflies and daisies), and this one has some nice realism and 'grit' to it, some life, if you get my meaning. And, although there are quite a few plot changes from book to movie, I still think that the movie did the book great justice. Neither were too graphic with the violence, but were both descriptive enough to be very sad and moving, to make the reader/watcher understand the horrible things that happened during the war. 

As to content, there really wasn't anything objectionable in this book. There might have been one or two slight language spots, but really, nothing bad--probably better content-wise than the movie. 

The plot changes that were significant? 


Well, first of all, after Captain Nicholls dies, Joey doesn't get taken by the Germans.  He is first assigned to another British rider named Trooper Warren, a very young man who is inexperienced with horses, but is a sweet, kind fellow. Trooper Warren was a very pleasant character and had quite a few memorable lines. My favorite part of his was when he is reading a letter from home to Joey (yes, they all talk to Joey), he talks about his sweetheart, Sally, saying that "as soon as this war's over and finished with, I'll get back home and marry her. I've grown up with her, Joey, known her all my life.  S'pose I know her almost as well as I know myself, but I like her a lot better." When I first came across that line, I had to stop and read it again several times because it was just so sweet I couldn't get over it! For some reason, I can't help but think that Steven Spielberg based the character Charlie (the one with the new hat, I can't remember his title) on Trooper Warren, but changed the character for his own purposes...anyhoo, that was the first plot change. 

 The little French girl's story was a little different, but we are given a bit more information about her sickness. In the book, she and her grandfather care for the horses and give them lodging while the horses work for the army by day, pulling ambulances. At one point, Emilie is seriously ill with pneumonia (on Christmas Eve night) and her grandfather confides his fears in the horses, Joey and Topthorn. However, at that point, she gets well again and all is happy, but Emilie is still weaker. That is the cause of her later death, we find out. Then the army takes the horses to pull their cannons.  Emilie insists she is "just lending them" to the soldiers and that she had to get her horses back someday, after the war.



Then the story is mostly like the movie, although everything seems to take a much longer time. The only thing I was disappointed in was the ending. The British find Joey again (after the toss of a coin by the German and British soldiers to see who gets the horse) and the doctor agrees to let him live. Now, Albert is, at this time, helping in the army's stables with his friend David. Unlike the movie, Albert's eyes were not hurt and he was in perfectly fine condition. He thinks his friend is teasing when he says he's cleaning a horse that looks exactly like Joey, but when Albert whistles his owl whistle, Joey comes and Albert knows that it is his Joey. I almost like the movie's version of this better for some reason, but the book is good too. 


There were about three things that were in the movie, not in the book, that I wished would have come from the book. One: the flag that Joey has tied on him throughout the movie is not really a part of the book’s plot. Two: the ending; Albert’s eyes aren’t hurt and it isn’t quite the same. Three: the German brothers, Gunther and Michael, aren’t in the book. I loved the story with the two brothers in the movie and I was a little disappointed that it didn’t come from the book.


Oh, and it didn’t have the scene where the soldier is walking through No-Man’s-Land quoting Psalm 23, which was a really beautiful thing in the movie. Other than that, though, I thought it was a lovely book. I enjoyed it and there are quite a few note-worthy quotes. To wrap up, I’ll just share a few quotes, and some pictures from the film too. I think Spielberg did a really good job capturing the feel of the book as a movie! It feels like a seamless transition from text to screen. (Please don't be depressed! I know it's a kind of sad story...but I don't want to make you sad.) 


“I always knew the British were crazy. Now that I know that they use horses such as you as cart horses, I am quite sure of it. That’s what this war is all about, my friend. It’s about which of us is the crazier. And clearly you British started with an advantage. You were crazy beforehand.” 


"There are brave men, German and English, lying out there on stretchers in the trenches." 

"They saved good lives today, those two - good German lives and good English lives."  

"Someone suddenly remembered it was Christmas morning, and they sang slow, tuneful carols all the way back." 




 "Captain Nicholls walked by my head turning his eyes out to sea so that no one should notice the tears in them. The wounded were everywhere - on stretchers, on crutches, in open ambulances, and etched on every man was the look of wretched misery and pain." 

"He'd have been proud of you, Joey. He'd have been proud of you, the way you kept going out there. He died leading that charge and you finished it for him. He'd have been proud of you."



Have you seen or read War Horse? What are your thoughts? 
Is there anything I didn't cover in regards to book vs movie? 







8 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a book of this! I just recently watched the movie for the first time.
    It wasn't my favorite, but there were definitely some good parts in it.

    Trooper Warren sounds like a really neat character. I love that quote you shared. "...but I like her a lot better." Awww. That's adorable. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a book until a while after I watched the movie. I don't know why, but I really loved the movie especially the first time I watched it. I guess I just like depressing, sad films...:)

      I know! I really wish that he had been in the movie! That quote was so sweet and almost profound, especially for a children's book.

      Thanks for the comment, Miss March! :D

      Delete
  2. I'm SO glad you liked it! :D (Apologizes for this incredibly late comment!)

    I agree; I think I would have preferred it to be in third person POV. But overall it is a very good book to movie adaption--with some spots that are better in the book, and some that are better in the movie. :) Like the German brothers and the scene where Albert finds Joey again. It was definitely more moving and special in the movie! With the snow falling and everyone watching...ahh, that scene gives me chills. :D

    Awww! That line that Trooper Warren says is indeed very sweet. <3

    I did appreciate that Emilie's illness made a whole lot more sense in the book than in the movie. In the movie, it was like, "Wait! She DIES? Why??"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was actually better than I expected it to be, being a kid's book.

      I have always preferred third person, in every single book I've read. I feel like I can understand the story and get a better "feel" for all the characters, not just one, in third person. First person feels really impersonal or something. Right, exactly - some parts of the movie were better, some parts of the book were better. :)

      I knoooow!!! It made me so happy when I was reading it in the middle of a long bus trip with insane college students! I got to curl up in my own corner and be happy. :D

      Thanks, Natalie! :)

      Delete
    2. Really? I do tend to prefer 3rd person MOST of the time...but there are some books I love that just wouldn't be the same without 1st person POV. I know what you mean, though--1st person can make the rest of the story feel really vague, because we're ONLY seeing through the eyes of the narrator.

      It cracks me up that you don't count yourself as a college student. ;) Well, you don't count yourself as an insane one, at least. Which is very true. You have GOOD SENSE. :D (And awww, curling up alone in a corner with a book is the best.)

      Delete
    3. I do prefer 3rd person almost always. There are a couple books, maybe a couple Robert Louis Stevenson ones, that I like and are in 1st person, but other than that...I always prefer to have a narrator.

      I like to think of myself as having good sense...:P Yes it is! :)

      Delete
  3. I have read it, but I really want to see the movie. The book is amazing and the movie sounds good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie is every bit as good as the book! I love both, but I can't decide which I like better--there are parts of the movie that are better than the book, and parts of the book that are better than the movie. But both are very good! :)
      Thanks for the comment! :D

      Delete