Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Master of Rivendell

There are probably hundreds or thousands of blog posts out there about the characters of Lord of the Rings. Mainly they are written about the bravery of Hobbits, the awesomeness of Aragorn, or the sweetness of the Shire, but this post is going to be dedicated to a sort of side mentor character.  Over the past--oh, I don't know, year or so--I have come to realize that there is more depth to this character than first meets the eye, and I want to bring that to light.  So here goes. Here is our character of the day:
He has had many names over the past 6000 years of his life, but most people just call him Elrond now. It got too hard to keep track of all those other names.

So, yeah. Elrond. Of course he's not an Aragorn character, he doesn't go on the quest, and he really isn't seen fighting much, but we all know he's got the skill. He's got all Legolas' skill most likely multiplied by six. Plus, he's like the manliest elf alive (ahem) at least in the movies, and just really a nice guy. I'll go better into detail below. First, let's start with his family: 

Okay. So, Elrond's parents were Eärendil and Elwing, who were both of mixed human/elvish blood if I am correct. I have the Silmarillion sitting next to me and the Tolkien Gateway website open in another tab, so I'd BETTER be. They had two children, Elrond and Elros, who were given the choice, due to their mixed blood, of remaining as an elf or as a human. Elros chose to become a human (interestingly enough, it's from HIS line that Aragorn came) and Elrond remained an elf for thousands and thousands of years. He married Celebrían, who was the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn of Lothlorien. 
I mean, imagine having her as your mother-in-law!
He and Celebrían had twin sons, named Elladan and Elrohir, who are REALLY COOL in the books. They come with their ranger friends to help Aragorn and co. through the paths of the dead. That is one thing I really, really wish had been in the movie. They would constantly shoot Aragorn looks like, "You better be good to my sister!" I would have loved that. Anyway, I digress. Arwen was the youngest of Elrond's children, and she lived with Galadriel (her grandmother) for a great time, while Elrond was helping to raise the young man named "Estel" (aka Aragorn) in Rivendell. 

500 or 600 years before LOTR (obviously before Aragorn was in Rivendell or even born), Rivendell was attacked by Orcs and Celebrían was captured. Elladan and Elrohir managed to rescue her, but she was injured beyond cure and Elrond had to send her into the west in order to save her life. He would rather send her away and let her live than keep her in Rivendell with him for a short time while she died. Awwwww........isn't that so sweeeeeeet???!!!

It makes more sense after that why he would be so protective of his only daughter and be so eager to sail into the west as well. He doesn't want her to end up hurt like her mother was, and wants to send her somewhere where she will be safe. And he wants to see his wife again. Sniff, sniff. 

In The Hobbit, Elrond is described thus: "He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer." In The Fellowship of the Ring: "The face of Elrond was ageless, neither old nor young, though in it was the memory of many things both glad and sorrowful. His hair was dark as the shadows of twilight, and upon it was set a circlet of silver; his eyes were as grey as a clear evening, and in them was a light like the light of stars. Venerable he seemed as a king crowned with many winters, and yet hale as a tried warrior in the fulness of his strength. He was the Lord of Rivendell and mighty among both Elves and Men."

I mean, wow. I personally think Hugo Weaving did a very good job portraying him in the movies. Your thoughts? 

Now, on to some other things. In the very beginning, we see Elrond trying to get Isildur to throw the ring into the fire, get rid of it for good, and save the land. He knows what's going on and how to fix it, but nobody ever listens to his very wise advice! Come on, Isildur! Get it together man! If you had listened to Elrond, then maybe poor Frodo wouldn't have had such a bad time of it! 

Throughout the years until the ring is re-discovered, Elrond continues to keep an eye on Middle-earth, helping all kinds of folk with their various things. He helps the company of Thorin Oakenshield decipher their map to the Lonely Mountain, is generous and lets Bilbo keep one of his silk pocket-handkerchiefs (in the book), and is a father figure to Aragorn throughout the years. He is also part of the White Council (along with Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel...), and a bearer of one of the three elven rings of power, though never corrupted by it. 

Vilya, the Ring of Air, arguably the most powerful ring of the three given to elves

During the Lord of the Rings, Elrond is considerably helpful. He hosts the Council to determine what is to be done with the Ring (the real Ring, the One Ring), heals, or at least mostly heals, Frodo from his terrible wound inflicted by the Ringwraiths, and gives Aragorn the reforged sword of Isildur. In the books, Aragorn has the sword right after they leave Rivendell, but in the movies, Elrond rides all the way to Rohan from Rivendell just to give Aragorn the sword (see? Legolas x 6 = Elrond's skill) and then back again. Of course, Peter Jackson and I agree that was a very good plot twist and appeals to the audience's emotion, but Tolkien and I agree that the way it was written is the way it was supposed to be. But that's more a criticism on Jackson's depiction of Aragorn's character, and I will have to talk about that later.

Now, the last topic is the relationship between Elrond and his daughter, Arwen. It is never really talked about much in the books of LOTR, but that's one thing I actually liked that Peter Jackson added in the movies. Like, he's not changing anything between father and daughter, just adding what he imagined Tolkien would have written (maybe), and I am kind of a sucker for father/daughter relationships. 



It's so sweet. She wants to marry Aragorn but Elrond doesn't want her leaving him, he wants her to sail away with him, where they may be reunited with Arwen's mother someday and live happily ever after. He knows that Arwen will have to face the difficulty of losing a spouse (in her case, Aragorn) someday and doesn't want her to have to go through that. Maybe it's because right now I'm working on writing a book where a big part of the story is a father/daughter relationship and how he doesn't want to let her go, but it just gets me every time. Elrond has a really strong love for his daughter and never wants to let her go. He doesn't want to give her over to another man, to let another man become her protection, her comfort, her help in everything. 


THIS SCENE! You guys! I had to make it big enough for you to see it all.
So, he finally comes to realize that, "Whether by his will or not," Arwen loves Aragorn, and he is what will fulfill her and make her life complete. She is meant to be with him, and Elrond understands that. It hurts, but he understands. (In the movie, he reforges the sword and comes to give Aragorn a little pep talk, but, all that aside...) And he decides to let her go to her Aragorn, to leave the shores of Middle-earth and sail into the west with the other ring-bearers, marking the end of the Third Age. Near the end of The Return of the King, we see him with his daughter in Gondor at Aragorn's coronation, still guiding her and finally giving her over to another man. 



You can see it in his face: love, joy, pride, sorrow. He's terribly sad to have his daughter leave him, to see her all grown up and married, but at the same time so proud of her, so glad to see her happy, with the man she loves, and knowing that Aragorn will take good care of her. And he's half-crying, half-smiling. He knows this is what's right to do for Arwen. But he's still going to miss her.


I know for my part that whenever my dad cries, it makes me cry, probably more than when anyone else is crying. And as I've been getting older, actually paying attention at weddings, I've realized how much it must ache for a father to let his daughter go to another man, and the mixture of joy and sadness he would most likely be feeling. She wouldn't be able to cry into his shoulder anymore, to come to her "Ada/Daddy" for help, and I can never say that I truly understand the feeling or ever will, because I won't, except a very hypothetical-someday-but-probably-not MAYBE from Arwen's point of view. But I can sympathize. 

(Wow, that got more personal than I intended. Ahem, oh well.) 

The story of Elrond ends with him sailing away into the west, helping Bilbo aboard the ship and being quite ready to leave. He's ready to go and see his wife again, leaving Rivendell and the world of Middle-earth behind. The departure of him and the other ringbearers (Gandalf, Galadriel, Bilbo, and Frodo) marks the end of the Third Age in Middle-earth and the beginning of the Fourth Age, the Age of Men, in which his daughter will still play a part.

In closing, I think that Elrond is one of the best father characters I can think of. Until recently, I never realized the depth of his character, and I don't know if it's intended to be quite so deep, but the thing about Tolkien is that he always put a whole lot of thought into each and every character he made up, even somewhat less important characters. Elrond is one of those characters, who is the wise, great elf-lord at the same time as being a soft-hearted, loving father. 

If anyone read this whole post, then good job you and thank you for being very patient! I hope you learned something out of it or at least were interested. Thanks for reading! 


Hey, I'm Elrond! (Rankin-Bass version of "The Hobbit")


No, I'm Elrond! (Ralph Bakshi version of "The Lord of the Rings")
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: Hugo Weaving did the best job.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I love Elrond and especially how Peter Jackson fleshed out his role as a a father in the films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy! I agree, that's the one thing (about Arwen, that is) Peter Jackson added that I actually like! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! :)

      Delete
  2. Woooow. Anna, this was SO good. To be honest, I've never liked Elrond much because in the movies he seems so grumpy and gruff most of the time. :P (#reason number 4 million I need to re-read the books!) But all these details you shed upon his character and backstory (oh no! No backstory! ;D) makes him so much more understandable and cooler and even pitiable.

    Like that thing about his wife. That's SO sad and yet, as you said, very sweet. <3

    I never would describe Elrond as "fair in face" (cough) or even as "kind as summer". I know I'll never think him handsome, but maybe when I re-read the books I'll notice his kindness more. ;)

    I DO love his relationship with Arwen. Their scenes usually make me tear up. Especially the scene at the end....:')

    I know, right?? I too have realized that the older I've gotten. Weddings are so bittersweet. If I ever have one of my own, I kind of wonder how I'm going to hold myself together, crying wise. :P (Also, if you want your heart broken by Daddy-Daughter wedding day songs, I know one or two that are very sad but sweet. <3)

    EWWWWWWW. (I think you can guess to what I am referring. :P)

    PS. "I have the Silmarillion sitting next to me and the Tolkien Gateway website open in another tab, so I'd BETTER be." That made me laugh. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! It turned out to by much longer than I intended it to be--once I started I just couldn't stop. I have always thought Elrond was just super great for some reason. *Shrugs* He's very noble, I guess, unlike SOME elf-kings I could mention...I agree that at first he's kind of a grump, but then I read his backstory and it all made sense!

      (I know! It's so sad! No wonder he's so gruff!)

      Noooo...I don't mean that he's exactly good-looking (and I think he needs a new hairstyle--I mean, what ARE those knotty things in the front?). I mean, possibly in his youth like 5000 years ago...but still. His kindness is a very solemn kindness. He is very hospitable toward even the dwarves on their quest, and really just opens his home to whatever weary traveler is in need of help. I guess that's more like his kindness.

      YES! I like it better than Aragorn's relationship with Arwen! At least, personally, in the movies, I think it was portrayed more effectively and, well, accurately! I think they wayyyyyyy overdid the twenty million Aragorn and Arwen scenes, and though Aragorn is AWESOME (don't get me wrong, he's incredible), I feel like Peter Jackson portrayed Elrond better and more faithfully to Tolkien's original character. I'll have to write a post about book vs. movie Aragorn...but all that aside.

      Exactly! If I'm ever married, the one condition is "NO HEARTWRENCHING THINGS MAY HAPPEN!!!!!!" GAAHHH!! Just...yeah. I doubt I'll be able to keep myself together, I mean, at other people's weddings I'm like "why are they crying?" but I'm sure at my own that I'll just be completely an emotional wreck! Oh well.

      :D Yes. That's cringeworthy, that is. And the sad thing is that I've watched both of the gross versions!

      I'm glad you liked it! And this is a really long reply so I'll let you go now.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umv4RVKS5gg (Hopefully you can cut and paste this link to a very bittersweet song. I hope you like it!)

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry that my response is so late!

      Hahaha. True. Thranduil isn't a very noble elf king. And good point about Elrond's kindness. He's so solemn to the point of where I would worry (if I was one of his visitors!) that I was doing something wrong, but I guess he of all people have a reason to be sad and solemn. Just because someone isn't laughing and super friendly doesn't mean they aren't kind.

      Welllll, Aragorn and Arwen are one of my favorite couples ever, so I can't say the same, but I do love her relationship with her father. :')

      I'd be interested in your book vs. movie Aragorn post. :D

      I've only been to two weddings, and I'm pretty sure I teared up at both, so crying at my own wedding is pretty much confirmed. haha

      Thanks for the song! I have heard that one before. Isn't it beautiful?? Here's one for you...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxlLAdXypCY

      Delete
    3. No problemo! (It's Spanish...not.)

      Yep. Thranduil is an Elrond wanna-be. I mean, he DOES have a great ride (his elk) and a very (ahem) impressive throne room, but...ya know.

      I know! The Aragorn/Arwen is great, BUT I feel like it wasn't portrayed as closely to the book as it could have been.

      Ha, yes, so would I. If I ever wrote it that is! Maybe I'll be able to set aside some time for doing that later! :)

      Oh man, that was a really good song/video. I liked it a lot! Thanks so much!!

      Delete